Thursday, March 29, 2007

Day 12

Thursday
I'm gonna pontificate today, but first, my workout summary:
Felt good, until I did my sprint drills, where i successfuly strained both of my upper quads (the sprint drill is where I fast-jog 100 yards, then sprint 50 yards, and repeat 4 times). Oops! Looks like, if I heal, I won't be doing those EVERY day. Again, at 34, one of my biggest obstacles is injury. At least my left knee is getting better! I was distracted by the quad injuries, so i forgot to do my stability squats, which are really cool. I think they will be very helpful.

WHAT IS A DUNK?
Even if I were to get an injury, I can still visualize the act of dunking. Research has shown this to be helpful (even non - "The Secret: Laws of Attraction" research). Just thinking about my eventual dunk puts me in a positive, hopeful mood. But what is this dunk that I think of?

First, even in my head, the dunk is realistic. I'm not flailing and flying like Kenny "Sky" Walker. I rise up, my right dunking arm extends and arches slightly behind my head, and my legs are together, arching behind me as well -- so that my whole body forms a subtle "C". My dunk is a vastly toned down blend between the styles of Shawn Kemp and Dominique Wilkins. By the way, 'Nique totally got robbed of that dunk title against Jordan. I thought so back then, and it's even more obvious now -- the windmill, the tomohawk? Not even close.

Anyways, that's my inspiration, and I'd love it if I wasn't completely stiff. But first, I just need to get the ball in the hole, something I could never do in HIGH SCHOOL. So that brings us to:

What is a dunk?

What do I have to do, in order to pass the agreed upon, true baller, acceptable minimum dunk? And this may be more easily defined by what is NOT a dunk. Like this. In other words, it can't look like a woman dunking. Every "dunk" by a woman I've seen on Sportscenter required multiple TIVO rewinds in order to convince myself it wasn't a layup.

Maybe I just need to hang on the rim.

No comments: