Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Day 1

Hi, my name is Joel Lava, and I want to dunk.

Standing 6ft, 2in, I started at forward for my highschool varsity team, but that was mostly for my hustle play, good D(efense) and rebounding. I had horrible jump mechanics, as I could only leap from both feet. That said, I still got the rim with the base of my hand -- but not high enough to dunk. So not only will I be working on my strength and explosiveness, I will also work on taking off from one leg at full speed. I can just palm the ball, so I'll strengthen my grip too.

Today is only to see where I am with my vertical, and do some basic jump drills. I have decided just to do normal workouts and get in shape for the first week. No sense in breaking or tearing anything right out of the gate.

The most I have worked out in the last 15 years is 3 times a week. I will now attempt to workout at least 6 times a week. I need to lose about 15 pounds (from 200 to 185) -- i'm not even gonna try to get to my highschool 175 pounds. But 15 pounds should lighten the payload for orbit.

Workout = jog 3.5 miles, jump drills, pushups, situps. I want to dunk Herschel Walker style, ie; without weights or a gym membership. I may even do pushups with my wife on my back.

Now let's get acquainted with my weekly video blog:

No comments: