Thursday, June 7, 2007

Day 82

Thursday
A pretty good weight session, considering how sore I was yesterday. My lower back is still sore, so I cut my deadlifts short. On the squats, I discovered that if I do the first 2 reps halfway, there's less pain and then I can do full reps after that.

I feel confident about upping my squats to 225 next week, from 205. Also, I gained another rep on my pullups, to 6. I wish my legs showed as rapid improvement as my upper body.

Thanks to everyone who gives me suggestions. I'm a little behind on researching/incorporating everything. Hopefully next week I'll have a little more time. This was supposed to be the week, but work got more intense than expected.

3 comments:

Eric said...

just came across your blog - good luck with this bro.

Try wearing a weight vest when you're doing your jumping. I'm 6' and was dunking a volleyball after using weight vests.

I'll keep checking in on you - keep pushing!

Joel Lava said...

How heavy a vest?

Eric said...

Hey Joel

I went through different weights as I got stronger in my legs (calves) from 5-40 lbs. You can get the same affect through numerous ways but I found the vests worked best for me.

I know it's a struggle to get some of that weight off and if I was training you - I would have had you doing work to just drop the weight for the first 3-4 weeks but that is neither here nor there.

You seem fortunate enough to have access to all the outdoor admenities you need and after watching video's you seem to be doing some good stuff. If possible, and if you are willing to try "anything" to get yourself to the point of dunking, try these shoes http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_3533_A_CategoryID_E_315

also try getting a workout parachute to help with explosiveness.

if you'd like to talk in some more detail shoot me an e-mail

eric.ridgley
AT
gmail
DOT
com