Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Week 69.1

More Ups
First, thank you to everyone giving my tips and comments. There's been a flurry lately, and it's much appreciated.

I was gonna do a jump test this weekend, but my knees were still hurting, feeling a little like wet noodles, from the pickup game on Wednesday. I was disappointed, and worried about my knees, but happy that I'm clearly jumping higher.

I am now consistently getting the rim below my knuckle, which is kinda a big deal. That's about 29". My last test was at 28", but this just feels like more. We'll have to measure the rim height for sure.

Mickey and I played one on one tonight, and at the end when I was exhausted, I got good rim. Good stuff.

I'd also love to jump on a wood court instead of concrete, but that could be hard, since Mickey and I don't belong to the same gym. That's a stupid reason, but oh well. I'm not so close to dunking that an inch would make the difference, YET, so I'll be fine.

My shin muscle on my left leg is really sore, which is where my sore knee is too. Gotta keep it stretched.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see that you improve!
What do you do to treat your sore shin? I'm struggling with a sore shin also...
Thanks

Joel Lava said...

it's not shin splints, it's the actual muscle. So i just stretch it, foam roll it, and wait. I'm thrilled it's not shin splints.

Anonymous said...

found your blog tonight and just went through the whole thing. keep it up. dunking was my quest this summer, and after 37 years i finally did it. we have pretty similar stats, i'm 6'3 with 8'1 reach but the big advantage i think is that i weigh 180 and play basketball 3 times a week. but seriously, just stick with it.

Joel Lava said...

thx anonymous!