Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Week 53.1

SWEET SWEET SLEEP
I went home this weekend, and after sleeping a bit on the plane, I took another nap at home . Then I took more naps the next afternoon, and finally got full sleep Saturday night. It's ocurred to me that I haven't slept much in the last few weeks, yet I've been doing my workouts. Oh, and I've been sick. So none of this has probably been good for my improved vert. I'm trying to get more sleep this week.

I plan on shooting my 1 year anniversary video this weekend. Mickey says we should play one-on-one to loosen me up. I have already talked shit that I will destroy him. Keep in mind I haven't played in 2-3 years. But we'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hei, I like your quest and hope you'll soon be able to dunk that ball. I'm also training to jump higher but in my case it is beacause of beach-volleyball. Still it would be cool to dunk a basketball. Respect for your endurance!! ONE YEAR!

Greetz Manawa

Joel Lava said...

thanks Greetz

svenskefan said...

Hi!
Good work man. One important point that I am sure you are aware of;
SLEEP. Get more of it, and you will see results. Not only for your vertical jump training.

One of the things I have noticed with my own training is that with increasing age, recovery takes a lot longer, and sleep is even more important than it used to be.

Something I noticed, is that when you do the two-legged jump, your last single leg to the ground is your right leg. This is probably fine, although i have been trained to do the opposite (using the left as the last single leg touch).

This has to do with volleyball technique, (planting the feet like this makes it easier to spike the ball for a right-handed person). I encourage you to try the other alternative (planting left foot last) and see what works out best for you.

When you do single leg jumps which leg is the strongest? You could try using the weaker leg there as well. It really is an awkward feeling using the "wrong" leg.

keep up the good work, and get some more sleep